Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Random Idea ~ Limited Originals

I was reading that new article over at Rebelscum about Bill Cable, an artist who creates original drawings of Star Wars characters, and once he draws one, that's it - no more of that character. It's kind of a cool concept, and I can see where it'd be fun for collectors. You could do a limited number. Do each one on a nice thick stock - maybe tagboard of some kind, 8.5 x 11, maybe $50 a pop. First come, first serve.

I would love to do something like that.

In any case, if I did, it wouldn't be for awhile. I have sketch cards to catch up on, and a sketchbook to get rolling on for the Chicago Wizard World Convention. But maybe after things slow down a bit.. Let me know what you think about that idea. Yay or nay?

4 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Blogger James said...

I suppose this is a good idea, at least from a collectibility standpoint, and since the Star Wars universe is so heavily populated, it could work for a while, but... what happens when you run out of popular characters?

"I'd like a picture of Yoda, please."

"Sorry, I drew my last picture of Yoda back in June 2005. How about 4-LOM? Everybody loves 4-LOM."

"Uh, no thanks. See ya!"

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Izebhel said...

i think it sounds pretty fun, but like the other comment says, what happens when you run out of the popular characters? i suppose a die hard SW fan would be interested in any character, though.

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Grant Gould said...

Haha :) Yeah, I know what you guys mean. If I did something like that, it would be a limited run, maybe 25, 50 at most. I would probably create a list of characters and show the list on my website and cross them off as they're taken.

But yeah, who knows if I'll get around to all this. I just liked the idea of doing limited edition originals, unique in terms of which characters is featured. Guess we'll see how I feel about it (or if there's any demand) in a few months.

~G

 
At 12:34 AM, Anonymous michael said...

I like the idea a lot, Grant. I think that you could come up with a list of 25 to 50 popular characters fairly easily, and there is such a diversity of taste in collectors that they're bound to all be requested.

Any idea what you would call this new portrait series?

Have you checked the list that Bill Cable has posted on his website showing not only the ones he's done but others that have been requested or reserved? There's a lot of interest in the less popular chareacters, as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home