Saturday, December 31, 2005

The end of all things...

Well, okay, it's not the end of all things. But it is the end of my Lord of the Rings: Evolution sketch card marathon!! As most of you know, I've been working on them all month, and as of tonight I am DONE. Tomorrow I'll be mailing them to Topps, and in a couple short months they'll be in hobby stores and all over ebay. Wheee



For those of you who might be curious, here is a list of the characters & creatures I drew for the set: Aragorn, ringwraiths, Legolas, Eowyn, Arwen, Boromir, Gollum, Gimli, Lurtz, Witch-King, Gandalf, Frodo, Eomer, Theoden, Galadriel, (all characters listed after this point are my "rare" cards, meaning I only drew one card for each of them -- so if you get one, you're a lucky duck) orc overseer, orc berserker, raging orc, Gothmog, Uruk-Hai warrior, Warg rider, Bilbo, Wormtongue, Merry, Pippin, Sam, battle troll, cave troll, Balrog, Denethor, Faramir, Sauron (from Prologue), Eye of Sauron, Mouth of Sauron, Rohan warrior, Treebeard, King of the Dead, Shelob, Rosie Cotton, Oliphaunt, fell beast, and The One Ring.

The quantities of each character vary, and I tried to keep duplicate poses to a minimum (there are 3 poses I ended up duplicating because I ran out of time - an Aragorn head shot, a Witch-King head shot, and a ringwraith pose - so those will be the most common cards). I only did 200 total, so I had to pick and choose and ultimately spend the most time drawing the characters I personally like the most and the ones that I think I draw the best. I feel bad about the lack of hobbits, but it turns out I kinda suck at drawing hobbits. And I feel bad I didn't get all the characters in there (Elrond, Haldir, etc.) but, man, it was a feat doing all these, there are a lot of LOTR characters - I did my best. :)

Also, my cards range from quick pencil sketches to fully-detailed markered pieces (roughly one out of every six cards is colored). And one last note: I didn't draw any Saruman cards. This is because Christopher Lee exercised his right to "review" each card of him, so that he could approve the ones he liked and turn down ones he didn't. There were already so many characters I wanted to squeeze in, and frankly I'm not a huge Saruman fan, so I just decided not to do any of him.

So that's it -- It was a pleasure to be part of this set and I loved working on 'em! Hopefully the collectors and fans will like 'em. Part of me feels sad that this stage of it is over.. But, man, what an amazing year.. 2005 started with the Star Wars cards and ended with LOTR. I feel incredibly lucky and thankful.

And now I can try to catch up on some commissions before my plate overflows again. Maybe I'll even be able to start posting some actual artwork in here again for a change. But not quite yet.. I'm taking the rest of this weekend off. heh :)

Happy New Years, everyone!!

3 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Man! I look forward to checking them out!
Happy New Year!
CE

 
At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Michael said...

Congrats on a fabulous year! I hope 2006 holds even more great news for you.

 
At 2:57 AM, Blogger Grant Gould said...

Thanks, guys :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home