Monday, January 23, 2006

Throw it in Reverse

I know this is a crappy little drawing -- I just want to make a point about seeing images in reverse. I don't know if I'm the only one, but when I draw something, the proportions or alignment of the pic become tangled in my brain -- I often have to hold it up backwards to a bright light and see it in reverse. This shows me (a) how much it sucks, and (b) what I need to fix. Here's the below image in reverse. See what I mean? Hmm. Maybe I'm crazy, maybe it's a right-brain/left-brain thing. I dunno. Just thinking out loud here. It's my blogspot and I'll cry if I want to.



I promise, I'll have some cool stuff to post soon. I've just been catching up on work and sleep.

3 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Blogger Ripsey said...

Heya Grant...

You're not crazy! Your brain starts to recognize the drawing, and after a while will deem it to be "proper" as a result; your brain litterally thinks "ok so I know that the proportions are off, but that's what this drawing looked like last time... so that must be the way it's supposed to look!" Inverting the drawing gives you a fresh look.

I do that all the time! Anyhow... looking forward to more stuff!

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Checkmark said...

Woah. I've never thought of doing that before. The only thing about holding it to the light I knew about was when you wanna be cheap, and write something in a comic and don't have a light box.

That's a really cool idea, and I guess ripsey does it too, so it must not be that wierd anyway. Cool.

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger Jason C said...

Nope. not just you.. I've done this for a long time.. used mirrors too.. and it was actually something one of my life drawing instructors validated for me saying that it was an easy way to see porportion and drawing flaws.. =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home