Saturday, July 29, 2006

Galactica Top Gun, baby!



One thing a lot of artists (especially "cartoony" artists) struggle with is drawing style. There's a lot of pressure from the outside world to make stuff look a little more realistic.. Or maybe it's a doubting little voice in our heads telling us that we should be afraid of letting loose. But either way, it's total crap, and I've always known that I'm more comfortable drawing in a super-cartoony style. I mean, my comic book heroes (Art Adams, J. Scott Campbell, Mike Mignola, just to name a few) are all very cartoony, and a lot of the artists I admire and know on a personal basis are cartoony artists.. Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud here.. But I'm definitely going to make a point from now on to go with my comfortable style.

With this Starbuck picture, I knew I wanted to do a pin-up type thing, and I went through about 10 different sketches -- I started out really "serious" looking, and hated it, and as I did it over and over, I noticed that ultimately the only way I really had fun with the drawing is when I just did it fast and cartoony. There's a lesson to be learned here.

Same goes for my LOTR sketch cards. I'm not happy with a lot of my "Evolution" cards because I spent more time focusing on "Does this look like the actor?" and not enough time on having fun and drawing it in my style.. For "Masterpieces" I think you'll see this change. (Of course, the only thing that sucks is that our deadline's so tight, I'm gonna have to rush myself through the cards, both LOTR and Avengers... .aagh... I'd kill to have an additional month to work on both..)

ANYhooo.. Just thought I'd share some of these thoughts with blogland. And if any of you dig the Starbuck piece, I'll be bringing some prints of it with me to Wizard World Chicago. :)

Back to the grind!

11 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Anonymous sideofzen said...

Nice! I won't be going to WWC, but I'd love to have one.

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GDG,
YEAH! BSG Babes! Frakin Hot Starbuck..

I'd Frak a Toaster..
Have a great con..
Try to get some shots of Erica Durance "Lois".. She is on the "I'd do list"
CE

 
At 12:29 AM, Anonymous laineylain said...

OMG, Joyce Dewitt and Priscilla Barnes!

Oh yeah, nice rendering of Starbuck :)

 
At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also a cartoon artist & it seems that people are more impressed with photorealistic art than animated. Probably because it is much more impressive & alot more difficult to do.
However, if you have an interesting, eyecatching style then people are likely to want to see more. I like your style. You, along with Bruce Timm & Genndy Tartakovsky, inspire alot of my art.
I often come across the problem of making my drawings look like the real person. I drew my best picture of Anakin by accident when I wasn't really trying at all. If you just relax & as you said, let loose it will come to you quite naturally & hopefully get the result you want.
I have to confess, some times I don't think you draw some people well. Particularly the hobbits & Eowyn. But every one has their weak spots. However you have definitley improved with said characters. You just have to be able to spot their most notible features. I find young girls to be most difficult because to me they al look alike. They don't have very definitive features. So with Eowyn I make her look very plain, thin lips, small nose, no eyelashes. Merry's hair, eyebrows & nose are easy to draw. Pippin has a skinnier face with a long nose. Frodo has big beautiful eyes with a cute little nose. And Sam has the roundest face.
I love your version of Galadriel, she looks alot like the real thing.

Courtney:pyro-the-maniac.deviantART.com

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Grant Gould said...

**it seems that people are more impressed with photorealistic art than animated. Probably because it is much more impressive & alot more difficult to do.**

I'd have to disagree with you on this. Photorealistic stuff is in no way more impressive or difficult to do. Personally I'm more impressed with well-drawn cartoons than I am by stuff that looks exactly like a photograph.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. More lines does not equal more talent.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Rich Molinelli said...

Grant this is another awesome piece of art! You are one of my favorite artists along with Jeff. Anyway I can get a sketch from you at Chicago, my con sketchcbook is artwork done by all my freinds and Artist people I have met!

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Grant Gould said...

**Anyway I can get a sketch from you at Chicago, my con sketchcbook is artwork done by all my freinds and Artist people I have met!**

For sure, man! :D

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger -Chadd said...

Oddly... when you scroll this page up and down, due to the skul design, Starbuck moves and the background give the optical illusion of staying there. Kind of a neat effect.

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger Anais said...

WOW !! :)

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Checkmark said...

Grant, I agree with what you said exactly. It's wierd cuz I was actually having a little grief from this a few weeks ago. Draw the way you like, I'm impressed with your stuff because it's perfectly stylized, and looks awesome. Life is realistic enough in real life, let's do something new.

 
At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another awesome print you've produced here my friend.... cartoon or not, it captures the essence perfectly IMHO and most importantly, it looks frakkin' cool!

Hopefully there will be a couple left after the con for those of us who can't make it, etc. Have a great event.

Steve
UK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home